How to Prepare for a Henna Appointment
By: Krysteen Lomonaco ~
Many people are serious when it comes to getting and keeping their henna and jagua tattoos looking their best. I don’t blame them. Think of everything one must go through to get a perfect design, the application process, sitting still, the drying time, the hours you’re not able to get it wet and of course, the development over the next few days.
Here are a few steps you can take to help this process:
- Shower and exfoliate before your appointment. This will remove the dead skin ready to come off and your henna will be applied to the fresh layer of dead skin.
- Leave the area free of lotions and oils. They might have something in them acting as a barrier. Defiantly, don’t use sunscreen. Especially, waterproof sunscreen. It prohibits the henna from penetrating the skin well.
- Manicures, waxing and shaving should be done in advance.
- Spray tans are not recommended as they too act as a barrier, prohibiting a deep henna stain. It may be possible to spray tan after the henna is fully developed, about 48 hours after the paste comes off.
- Wear clothing that will not cover the henna area. You might have to get creative if placing the tattoo on the torso. Shoes can’t be worn if hennaing the feet. For these appointments, we can come to you or be prepared to leave shoeless.
- Consider bringing a friend who will drive you home and wait on you while your henna dries. Perhaps offer them a henna gift certificate so you can return the favor.
Getting a henna tattoo is really a 2 person job. We’ll do our part by supplying quality artwork, superior grade henna paste, aftercare instructions and a smile! Visit the website to make an appointment or to view our open summer locations.